Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What the EFF is wrong with people

‘Bait dog’ was left to die, animal rescue workers say


A severely wounded and hypothermic dog, believed to be a "bait dog" used to test other dogs' fighting instincts, was found abandoned and motionless near a busy Hyde Park road Monday night, according to the Animal Rescue League of Boston.

The dog, a female pit bull around 3 years old, was found by an animal control officer, curled in a ball and shivering with open wounds all over it, next to Smithfield Road near Turtle Park Parkway around 10:30 p.m. Monday.

A passerby who called 911 to report the dog, which rescuers named Turtle, returned to the scene to help an animal control officer search for the animal, which was found in a wooded area next to the road, said Lieutenant Alan Borgal, director of the Center for Animal Protection.

Borgal said that when he arrived on scene, he immediately knew the dog was used as a bait dog because of the type of wounds and the severity of her scars. The dog also had makeshift sutures where its owner had tried to sew old wounds, and its ears had been cropped for fighting, Borgal said.

"I've been working in this business for 35 years, and I'm just shocked that this dog was dumped to die," he said.

Members of the Animal Rescue League brought the dog to Tufts Veterinary Hospital in Walpole, where her wounds were cleaned and she was given antibiotics and fluids, Animal Rescue League spokeswoman Jennifer Wooliscroft said. The dog had a high fever and was covered in fleas, she said.

"I don't think she would have survived even a few more hours if she hadn't been found," Wooliscroft said.

Debby Vogel, of the Animal Rescue League of Boston, said the dog showed no signs of aggression when they found her and was whimpering on the car ride to the hospital.

"She was scared, sore, and cold. You could see in her eyes that she was in pain," she said.

When the dog is done with treatment at the veterinary hospital sometime this week, she will be released to the Animal Rescue League of Boston, where she will work with behavioral veterinarians and must be quarantined for around six months because of her bite wounds, Vogel said.