Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Twins, twice (and she's not even 30)


Katie Groharing thought she was done with the twin thing.

Just a little more than a year after giving birth to a set of boy-and-girl twins, the Byron woman found out she was unexpectedly pregnant again. She left the twins and their older sister at home and headed to her doctor’s office for a the first routine ultrasound. She joked with her doctor as he fired up the machine.

“Make sure there’s not two this time,” she said with a grin.

There were.

“I was instantly in shock,” she said. “I didn’t say anything for the rest of the ultrasound. I cried to the nurse, ‘Five kids! I can’t do five kids!’ ”

But that’s exactly what this 29-year-old mother is doing. In mid-May, she gave birth to her second set of twins. The newborns, Carson and Macy, were welcomed home by 2-year-olds Carter and Madison and 5-year-old Hailey.

That means the Groharing family now has five children 5 or younger — and four of them are in diapers.

“Carter and Maddie are 2, they demand your attention,” Groharing said. “I’m very fearful (about having five small children). For about the first month, though, we’ll be set up as far as help goes. I’m just glad it’s summertime and we can get outside.”

No, there weren’t fertility drugs involved with any of the Groharing children, and no, the family isn’t planning to have any more. In fact, Groharing says she had already started to get rid of the baby items she collected over the years.

“My goal was three kids before I was 30,” Groharing said. “Now I have five at 29.”